Crypt collapses into huge sinkhole at mass grave site where 80,000 bodies are buried

A large sinkhole has appeared above a former burial site for more than 80,000 people after an old crypt collapsed in a public park

Video taken in Grant Gardens, previously Liverpool Necropolis and now a public park, shows the formation of the huge hole.

The sinkhole is said to have formed over the site of a former crypt which was not filled in correctly.

Grant Gardens was opened in 1914, sitting above a former cemetery which is believed to hold up to 80,000 bodies.

Memorials and structures from the graveyard have since been removed, but the graves themselves remain intact underground.

A Liverpool City Council spokeswoman said: “Grant Gardens was originally a cemetery in the 19th century and was turned into a public park in the inter-war years.

“The sinkhole is the result of a former crypt that was not filled in correctly at the time.”

The sinkhole was reported as a cause for concern by a dog walker on Friday evening and the area was quickly cordoned off.

Local resident Shirley Hand posted on Facebook and said: “I took the video before it was cordoned off.

“We had to get off the grass quickly as it was sinking under our feet.

“It was really eerie looking down the hole knowing that many years ago the park was a burial ground.”

Vinny Odonavan added: “Wasn’t it called Necropolis? A massive graveyard.”

Frank Jakes said: “Whooooo, that’s scary.”

A Liverpool City Council spokeswoman added: “Emergency duty officers attended the site at the weekend and have made the hole good and a mound will now be created.

“We imagine the wet weather contributed to it being formed.”